The Montanari audiovisual Library is housed in a building which was designed by Giuseppe Balducci. He recycled the materials coming from the demolished convent of St. Philippe which was in the same area. As typical of that time, he chose an eclectic style and the library was built between 1899 and 1903. At the beginning of the 20th century it housed the primary school Rossi and when it was closed, it became an exhibition area.
The Montanari audiovisual library was opened on 10th July 2010 after major renovation works. Great attention was paid in order to preserve and enhance the historic heritage of the building: the preservation of the previous school, the enhancement of the archaeological site and the opening of a new library. The large rooms and aisles of the school house the collections of the library. The room under the hall is used for conferences and as an information point for students and tourists interested in the archaeological tour of the Roman town of Fano.
In the underground room there are still some columns which formed the peristyle, without the surrounding ground and the porch in which they were enclosed. It’s also possible for visitors to see the foundations thanks to a walkable glass floor which makes it clear how large the temple was and how it was built.
The Montanari audiovisual library ( short -named Memo) provides general information and is complementary with Federiciana Library of Fano. It’s 1,600 square meters wide, all of which are open to the public and 200 square metres are specific for children.