by Tiziano, commissioned in 1558-59 for the Dominicanns Church, is a painting donated to Ancona by the Venetian brothers Cornovi della Vecchia. The painting became part of the civic collection since its establishment, but in the municipal inventory of 1929 it is reported in the Church of San Domenico. Transferred to Urbino to protect it from the risks of war, it remained there until 1950, when as a result of the exhibition Venetian Painting in the Marche regione, held in Ancona, it was returned to its seat due to the will of the then Superintendent of the Galleries Pietro Zampetti. On a night in March in 1972, the painting was stolen but the mysterious affair ended with the discovery of the work, which took place less than 15 days after his disappearance. Exhibited since 1973 for security reasons in the new headquarters of the Art Gallery at Palazzo Bosdari, it was then finally put back in the choir of the Church of San Domenico.