is located on a plateau closed by the Bosso and Burano rivers. The town is bordered to the south on Mount Catria , Mount Nerone and Mount Petrano and further north on Mount Paganuccio that, with the Mount Pietralata form the steep walls of limestone massif of Furlo. Once inhabited by the Umbrians and Romans, later joined the Byzantine mountain Pentapolis (with Fossombrone, Gubbio, Jesi and Urbino). It finally fell under the Duchy of Urbino. The hand of the great 15th military architect Francesco di Giorgio Martini is unmistakable in the dramatic oval torrione, or tower to the west of the piazza, all that remains of the citadel that Duke Federico da Montefeltro had built above Cagli towards the end of the 15thC. The tower now houses a Center for Contemporary Sculpture. The most remarkable churches are : the church of San Francesco and the church of San Domenico,full of frescoes; the Cathedral, almost entirely rebuilt in the 18th century, the church of Sant'Angelo minore, the church of S. Peter, the church of Santa Maria della Misericordia, the Church of St. Joseph, the church of Santa Chiara, the church of St. Philip and St. Bartholomeo , decorated several paintings by Gaetano Lapis, the famous painter born in Cagli. Must see attractions in Cagli are: the medieval Public Palace (now the Town Hall and the Archaeological Museum); the fifteenth century Palazzo Preziosi-Brancaleoni, the sixteenth century Palazzo Tiranni-Castracane and the 19th century Municipal Theatre. The most important Roman site is Mallio Bridge, built during Roman republican time. The "Game of the Goose" that was held in Cagli in 1543, currently takes place in August.