Every day, in the Major Cloister of St. Francis in Ascoli Piceno is hosted the Market of the Herbs, which is why this building is also identified with the name of Piazza della Verdura (meaning “Square of the Vegetables”). This is an airy square between the roads Trivium and Ancaria, near Piazza del Popolo and the Ventidio Basso theatre. Along with the Minor Cloister of St. Francis, it belongs to the architectural complex of the homonymous church. The building of this space in travertine and masonry, which has a front porch dating back to the 14th C., began in the year 1565 and was completed in 1623. The structure counts 20 arches, five on each side, that develop on Corinthian columns. At the centre of the area there is a well, finely decorated with little columns in a Gothic-style. A plaque hanging on the wall of the porch recalls the figures of pope Nicholas IV, the first Franciscan pope with an Ascoli origin, and pope Sixtus V, both of which have formed at the convent of the city. Every year, on the day before the jousting tournament of The Quintana, from this cloister moves the parade led by the Magnifico Messere, which later reaches Arringo Square, to say the square of the ancient cathedral, where the ceremony of the Offer of the Candles takes place. Adjacent to the cloister is the Oratory of St. Francis, also called Sala Cola dell'Amatrice because of the presence of some frescoes attributed to Cola dell'Amatrice and depicting Old Testament themes, which was reopened in March 2012 after a careful and accurate restoration. Over time, this place has welcomed first the Chapter Hall, then the Oratory of Corpus Christi, and later the armory of the barracks and the municipal fish market.